Saturday, October 3, 2009

Thing #6

Here is the bottom line: I'm too interested in too many things, and setting up Google Reader for me is like someone gave me the first rock of crack for free. Information crack, that is.

Life for me is pretty busy and full of energy-sapping activity (My husband and I have a 3 month old son, and we both work full time), so I am trying to determine if having my favorite web sites skimmed by Google Reader will make my limited internet time more or less efficient. My first instinct tells me that it will make things less efficient, simply because I might get sucked in with all of it right there at my fingertips, the steps of having to enter the URL address skipped over . . . just one click on one site, and I can look at NPR, NY Times, BBC News, etc.

I love sharing relevant information with friends and coworkers because I know that not everyone has (or takes) the time to pursue continuing education. Sometimes, our interests get lost in life as we know it. As a new parent, for the first time in my life, I can fully understand and empathize with that reality. So, the "Add Star" and various "Share"/"Email" features of the Google Reader that could be VERY helpful in that respect -- you can share what you know your friends/family/coworkers will find interesting right from the Reader.

4 comments:

  1. I have been a witness of your love for sharing relevant information with your friends and coworkers, because I am both. I agree that those features from Google Reader are helpful to share information with the people we are in touch.

    On the other hand, unlike you, I think that Google Reader will make my internet time more efficient. I love the fact that I will not find SPAM, and that I will have several sources to choose from, all at a glance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be more efficient because you will not allow yourself to be distracted by every little thing that calls your attention! I wish I were more like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too lead that busy life you spoke of. I find myself drowning in Google Reader. Over the past couple of days I have gotten a little better. Maybe you will as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually use my Google Reader more now than I did when I took the 23 Things staff development. You will be surprised, just one day something will click and you will find a use for it. You have to stick with the "Things" you like and come back to the ones your not sure of later-or never!

    ReplyDelete